The concept of being a digital nomad has become ever more popular over the last few years. In fact, there are over 4.8 million Americans that embrace the remote work and travel lifestyle. With millions of digital nomads around the world, remote work programs have gained popularity with this wandering population.
Why Remote Work Programs are Growing in Popularity
Travelling can be a great joy, but not everyone is patient enough to appreciate the planning. Remote work programs take away the stress of looking for accommodation and local transportation. All that is left is for you to find your flights, although, some programs even take care of that for you.
Being a digital nomad on your own can get lonely. Traveling with a group of like-minded and hard-working individuals can help ease that loneliness and even help you feel safe when you’re in a new location. Being a nomad is less about the places you go and more about the people you meet and the memories you create.
Even when you’re traveling, let’s face it, work is work. Somedays you just might not be feeling it, even though things have to get done. Being inspired by the people around you working just as hard, while experiencing new surrounding and growing together, can be a truly motivating experience.
9 Top Remote Work Programs
With the unfortunate rise of COVID-19, most remote work programs have paused all programs for 2020. We recommend checking each site out below to see if they have active programs, and what their safety precautions are. Some programs (like Remote Year), have even launched programs domestically to accommodate individuals who would still like to travel and work with a small group of other nomads.
1. Remote Year
With itineraries that can spread across one country, or all over the globe, Remote Year truly takes the stress out of planning. This remote work program not only takes care of your travel and accommodation but depending on the city, it might also set you up nicely with a coworking space. Whether you’re in Japan or Mexico City, you’ll feel at ease while you work.
- Ideal for: Remote Workers and Freelancers
- Length of program: Choose between 1 year, 6 months or 4 months
- Locations: South America and Europe
- Cost: 4 month program costs $3,000 down plus $2,000 per month ($11,000 total). The 6 month program costs $4,000 down plus $2,000 per month ($18,000 total) 1-year program costs $5,000 down plus $2,000 per month ($27,000 total)
Wifi Tribe places an emphasis on the idea of a “tribe.” This fairly new remote work travel program creates a community through its membership. Every “chapter” is a four-week stay with the same community, where you can choose between shared or private accommodation. Once your chapter has ended, you can choose to move on to the next location with your tribe, or join another tribe across the globe. The choice is yours.
- Ideal for: Digital Nomads
- Length of program: 4 weeks
- Locations: Latin America, Asia, Europe, South Africa
- Cost: $900-$2,300
With an emphasis on creating a community of creatives, developers, and designers, Hacker Paradise allows its members the opportunity to network and learn from like-minded travelers through community events, workshops, and excursions. Accommodation, coworking space, and opportunity for career development are all included in their program. The Hacker Paradise team takes time to video chat with each participant to match them with a great community and optimize their travel and remote work experience.
- Ideal for: Developers, designers, entrepreneurs, creative.
- Length of program: 2 weeks, 1 month, 3-12 months
- Locations: South America, Europe, Asia, Africa
- Cost: Prices starting at $1,550 depending on the length
The team at No Desk Project places an emphasis on wellness and culture for their remote work travel programs. The program includes housing, coworking spaces, and social programming. With each location offering a different type of theme for the stay, whether it’s yoga, dance, or volunteer work, participants are able to do their jobs and immerse themselves in the local culture of the town through arts, music, and activities.
- Ideal for: Digital Nomads
- Length of program: One Month
- Locations: Bali, Indonesia; Kolkata, India; Chiang Mai, Thailand; Phnom Penh, Cambodia; Rio, Brazil; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Hvar, Croatia
- Cost: Prices starting at $2,900
If you’re looking to create a social impact in the world while working remotely, the 30-day retreats offered by Venture with Impact might be for you. The program partners participants with volunteer opportunities based on their skillsets, and in return, you have a private room in an apartment, access to coworking space, and a support team to help make the travel and schedule run smoothly.
- Ideal for: Remote workers who want to volunteer
- Length of program: 1 Month
- Locations: Medellin, Colombia; Chiang Mai, Thailand; Lisbon, Portugal; San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
- Cost: Prices starting at $2,200
Behere is a remote work program entirely for women who enjoy traveling alone. The program requires a minimum stay of 30 days and will set you up with housing, coworking space, and access to fitness studios. For the woman who wants to get down to business in a new location without the stress of arranging accommodation, Behere will be a great place to get started.
- Ideal for: Women
- Length of program: 30-day minimum
- Locations: Lisbon, Portugal; Split, Croatia; Barcelona, Spain; Bali, Indonesia
- Cost: Prices starting at $1,534
Selina is a unique remote working program, in that, it offers a la carte opportunities all around the world. Whether you simply need coworking space for a few days in Mexico City, or you want an adventurous experience in Greece, Selina’s platform has something for you.
- Ideal for: Remote Workers who want the freedom to jump around.
- Length of program: 30-day minimum
- Locations: Latin America, Greece, Portugal, United States, United Kingdom
- Cost: Varies depending on need.
8. WiFly Nomads
WiFily Nomads is a retreat-structured program that is aimed at teaching participants how to become the most optimal remote worker. The 5-day retreats are all-inclusive, and include workshops for professional development, making a living, freelancing, entrepreneurship, and more. If you’re looking to change your career path and find a remote job where you can travel and make a sustainable living, WiFly Nomads is a great choice for you.
- Ideal for: Individuals looking to become digital nomads.
- Length of program: 5 days
- Locations: Bali, Indonesia
- Cost: $3,997
Coworkation’s purpose is to bring together entrepreneurs that want to come together to inspire, brainstorm, and refocus. These all-inclusive retreats are tailored to help you find new ideas to grow your business but to also join in conversations with others that are doing the same.
- Ideal for: Remote working entrepreneurs
- Length of program: 5 days, 1 month
- Locations: 2020 TBD
- Cost: Varies
As remote jobs become increasingly popular, remote work programs aim to bring people together while they travel and experience the world. Where a wanderer may have felt lonely in a new city or stressed about making travel arrangements, these programs seek to form a tribe and let their participants inspire and motivate one another while surrounded by beautiful scenery. Remote work programs are still fairly new concepts, but these 9 programs are paving the way for remote workers around the globe to come together, work hard, and be inspired.